Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EZO sensor not working
Hello,

KC868-E16P is a great product, I love it!

I am almost finished connecting all my sensors and devices using ESPHome. 

Only remains 2 EZO sensors (1 device is pH, the other ORP). This is from Atlas Scientific:   EZO™ pH Circuit | Atlas Scientific (atlas-scientific.com)

I found this code on  EZO sensor circuits — ESPHome
- platform: ezo
  id: ph_ezo
  address: 99
  unit_of_measurement: "pH"
  update_interval: 10s

The device is connected to SDA / SCL.

Problem:
- Results from i2c bus scan doesn't detect the EZO sensor (I know the SDA / SCL ports are OK since I am able to detect an additional PCF8574 board for instance).
- While the device isn't detected, it is somehow interfering with ESP32 since I am seeing this in the logs:
                [W] [component: 157]: Component pcf8574 set Warning flag: unspecified
                [W] [component: 170]: Component pcf8574 cleared Warning flag

Questions:
- How to make my EZO sensor work please ?
- For my second  EZO sensor, should I connect it to the IC2 extender ?

Thank you.
if the sensor is i2c bus, you can connect with i2c extender. VCC,GND,SDA,SCL.
(07-13-2024, 01:40 PM)admin Wrote: if the sensor is i2c bus, you can connect with i2c extender. VCC,GND,SDA,SCL.

Thank you for your fast answer. 

I cannot test i2c extender yet since I need to order the connector.

Could you clarify please:
i2c SDA on GPIO16 and i2c SCL on GPIO15 cannot be used right ?
use this i2c pin define in ESPHome:
IIC SDA:GPIO16
IIC SCL:GPIO15
connect your sensor's 4 pins with i2c extender, just need confirm your sensor's i2c interface power voltage. suggest you take a photo of your sensor interface.
Photo 
(07-14-2024, 12:38 AM)admin Wrote: use this i2c pin define in ESPHome:
IIC SDA:GPIO16
IIC SCL:GPIO15
connect your sensor's 4 pins with i2c extender,  just need confirm your  sensor's i2c interface power voltage. suggest you take a photo of your sensor interface.

Thanks but it didn't help I am afraid.

My 2 i2c sensors work between 3 to 5v DC so they should have been detected by i2c scan.

Neither are working properly (but I can see that they are under power - green light on).

If I swap them by a PCF8574, this one is detected in the logs and works well.

See attached photos & logs for more clarity.

Attached Files Image(s)

take a photo of your sensor every pin define, now can't see the label on pcb.
(07-14-2024, 12:35 PM)admin Wrote: take a photo of your sensor every pin define, now can't see the label on pcb.

There you are. I am connecting everything except the "OFF" PIN.

TX on SCL
RX on SDA

I also tried inverting them without luck.

As per this link:  Electrically Isolated EZO™ Carrier Board | Atlas Scientific (atlas-scientific.com) both UART or i2C can be used.

Attached Files Image(s)

There you are.

SCL = TX
SDA = RX

Also tried inverting them just in case.

As per  Electrically Isolated EZO™ Carrier Board | Atlas Scientific (atlas-scientific.com) it should  work with both UART and I2C.

Attached Files Image(s)

i see now. this is not a i2c sensor, just a serial port sensor. so you can't connect with i2c extender.
the sensor have private protocol, so you can't integrate to home assistant directly.
(07-15-2024, 12:44 AM)admin Wrote: i see now. this is not a i2c sensor, just a serial port sensor. so you can't connect with i2c extender.
the sensor have private protocol, so you can't integrate to home assistant directly.

Yes you can.

Please read this link:
EZO sensor circuits — ESPHome

This is an i2c sensor (or UART, as mentioned in previous message it works with both protocols).

So it's well integrated with Home Assistant and ESPHome.